Monday, September 18, 2017

RWBB Love Amid Hurricane Harvey




Hey there, y'all. As some of you may already know, I live right outside Houston, TX. Recently Hurricane Harvey came through and really did a number on the area, and my neighborhood was not spared.



We went to sleep around 1:30am on Sunday morning (party next door), and when my husband woke me up at 8am, water was in the house. I quickly put anything I deemed important up as high as I could, threw a few handfuls of clothes into a bag, grabbed the girls and got out.



We walked into our front yard into chest deep water and began to make our way to the front of the neighborhood to a friend's house where the water hadn't gotten as high. We stayed there while my husband went back to get our dogs. And yes... that's our scardy cat German Shepherd slung over his shoulder!


The water was too deep at that point to get the kids (3 and 6) all the way to the front by simply walking, so we waited until my parents could figure something out. Finally my dad and a family friend came to the rescue with a flat bottom boat. And let me tell you...pushing your kids in a boat through the river that is now your neighborhood is something I can't even begin to describe.

It's been surreal since then, to say the least. While we're very aware how blessed we are to have made it out safely and have family to stay with, it's also heartbreaking to see everything we owned swept away and destroyed. We didn't have riches by any means, but we've worked hard for what we did have, and while stuff can be replaced, there were a few items that simply can't be.



Although we did try to keep our humor through as much of this as we could. Notice the way my husband arranged my poor scarecrows after the water finally receded and we began to demo the house. LOL


BUT...through all the madness and heartache, what has truly touched me the most is the amazing support we've received from my fellow RWBB authors, most of whom I've never even met face to face.

There's something to be said about not only having incredible talent, which they all do, but to also have an open and generous heart. Their kindness has made me smile during an incredibly difficult time in my family's life, and I will never be able to repay them enough.

I love y'all!

(p.s. Craving Stassi has been pushed back to October 30th because of all this madness. But it's coming. I promise!) I'll also have wineglasses and Craving Stassi wineglass charms available soon!

If you haven't gotten the first book in the Fantasies Unmasked Series (Desiring Lacey) now is your chance to snag it up for only $0.99!
Available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, iBooks, and Google Play!









1 comment:

Cailin Briste said...

Erica, this brought tears to my eyes. You're such a special lady. I've seen the pics and heard bit and pieces, but the boat ride was new to me, and it really grabbed my mommy heartstrings. Bless you brave girl. We love you.